Monday, December 10, 2018

Cookie Decorating ... Err ... Sensory Activity

This past Friday I headed to Teddy's school. After meeting with his physical therapist (finally for the first time since school started), I headed to his classroom to help with a sensory activity. That's what I called it when I offered to come help his classmates decorate sugar cookies because the school district is rather particular about any sort of homemade treats for children. But how can I help it if the kiddos eat their perfectly edible sensory activity?


He doesn't need to look at what he's doing ... ever.
Anyways, Teddy and two of his classmates enjoyed decorating their cookies. His classmates put on multiple rounds of frosting because it kept falling off their cookies ... right into their mouths. Teddy actually had no interest in eating his cookie because he was having too much fun decorating and showing off. A few other classmates watched from a distance and came to enjoy the finished products. 
I made the sprinkles easy to shake onto cookies.

It was a simple activity, lasting no more than 20 minutes, but it was well worth the time and effort to put things together. It was nice to see Teddy in his classroom setting, and he was certainly excited to see me come into his classroom. 

He was very excited to see me and the cookies, too.

Perhaps we need to do another sensory activity around Valentine's Day?

1 comment: