Sunday, February 18, 2024

For the Love of Sleep

If you've followed this blog since the early days, you know that sleep has been a challenge for Teddy through the years. Generally speaking, it's improved much in the last several years in terms of sleeping through the night, though we still have a much earlier "Teddy" alarm than we'd like most days. Trust me, if you need a good alarm clock to pry your tired self out of bed, I highly recommend one that involves 80+ pounds kicking a wooden door while moaning loudly. Works like a charm for us. ;-)

Of course, travel is still hard, which means vacations are challenging, and we rarely sleep anywhere aside from our home and our land where Teddy is accustomed to the setting. We drive 4, 5 or 6 hours in a day to make day visits to family rather than spend the night because we know that sleep will be hard to find.

But, generally speaking, Teddy does sleep better. We've worked with his neurologist to find the right combination of medications to both help manage seizures and help us all get rest at night. The trouble is that most of them help more with falling asleep (and restless legs, which he has as well) than remaining asleep. 

On Groundhog's Day, he woke up at 3:30 and was up for the day. I took the early shift that day because I didn't have to work my office job, so I figured I could catch a nap perhaps while he was at school. Given that I already had plans to run with a friend at 5 a.m. and it was warm enough to bring Teddy, I bundled him up, loaded his chair and headed out the door shortly after 4:30 a.m. If you're wondering what warm enough to bring Teddy is for Wisconsin winter, I aim for right around 30 with minimal wind. He was so darn excited to go running! While my friend was a bit surprised, she pitched in pushing him. I joked to him that though it was Groundhog's Day that we weren't repeating this. 

Can you see his excitement?

Post run - still smiling despite the early hour.

Of course, I lied. That was Friday, and Tuesday morning he was up for the day at 2:30 a.m. (We think he fell out of bed that morning and woke up when he hit his hard floor. Game over. Up for the day.) Dave took the first 1.5-2 hours, and then I took over. Again, it was warm enough, and I already had plans for running, so off we went for a 5 a.m. run. My friend are great, so this friend was a lifesaver when my fingers were numb in getting Teddy out of his chair and buckled into the truck. 

Groundhog's Day repeated. Still all smiles. 

Now if you're wondering if he napped at all either of those days ... nope. Not at all. He was definitely tired but powered through the whole day. 

The good news is he had a neuro appointment last week, so we were able to discuss his early morning wakings. We did a medication adjustment, so hopefully once he gets adjusted at the new dose (and over this virus that causes coughing fits that wake him up now), we'll all get some better rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment