Thursday, August 19, 2021

Word of the Day: Honack

The non-English word for this week is "honack." It's a Bavarian dialect word that is a person who makes a mistake and then proceeds to try to fix the mistake by making more mistakes. The example my German friend gave me when explaining the word was a person trying to cut a board for a table, but they don't cut the board straight. They then proceed to try to get it straight and keep cutting on this side and that side and end up with just a pile of shavings. The wooden board is then "vehonackelt" by the "honak." 

My friend was sharing that they call their daughter a little honack because she constantly makes bigger messes simply by existing. I understood immediately because my response to her example was, "So everything Teddy touches is vehonackelt?" She gave me a thumbs up and laughed. 

It's true, though, that Teddy will try to help with something and lacks the fine motor skills, or gross motor skills, or comprehension to do the task as intended. For example, he saw his grandpa pouring a drink and immediately ran to help, by lifting the end of the pitcher suddenly. Great intentions, but the end result wasn't as helpful as intended. 

My honak after eating ice cream before he "cleaned" himself.

However, I love that Teddy desires to help. He wants to help, he wants to be an active member of the family and he knows what things should be helpful. Eventually his skills will catch up with him that his help becomes at least more helpful. 

Until then, I'll practice my new German words and try to appreciate the help he provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment