Monday, February 22, 2021

Snowy Giggles

Last night Teddy asked to go outside to play, so we headed out with a beautiful snow falling. My intention was to get the driveway cleared, so that it would be easier to finish in the morning. Teddy loves dragging shovels around, so I was optimistic I'd be able to get the driveway shoveled. None of the neighbors were out, and all their garage doors are shut, which was good because those are instant magnets that lure Teddy to them.

This was earlier in the day, before the snowfall. It was dark by the time we had snow.

Well, after about 5 minutes, Teddy thought it would be funny if he made his way to the neighbor's driveway. It took him several minutes because he was dragging a giant shovel and trudging through a couple feet of snow because he walked through the lawn. He was laughing the whole time, knowing he was being mischievous. I waited until he was close to heading up their walkway to go retrieve him and bring him back to our driveway. No sooner did I start shoveling again did he take off for another neighbor's driveway, laughing the entire way, with his shovel in tow. Once again, I kept shoveling until he got nearly to their door and then ran over to retrieve him. 

Fortunately, each time he willingly walked back to our house, instead of flopping to the ground like a 70-pound sack of flour. We headed back and resumed shoveling our driveway. He made a couple passes before he took off for a third neighbor's driveway. When I went to retrieve him that time, he was literally collapsed in the snow in a fit of giggles because he thought he was absolutely hilarious. Each time he'd fall, he'd eat the snow off his mittens or the ground, which is pretty standard for Wisconsin children during fresh snowfall.

He made it to a fourth neighbor's house before I tried to encourage him to bring out our garbage bin because it needed to go out for the morning anyways. He interpreted that as go to the neighbor's bin and attempt to drag it to our yard. That let me finish the shoveling, as much as I could, before I retrieved him one more time. That time the garbage can flipped and dumped a pile of snow in his face. I just chuckled and told him he deserved it. 

I had thought it was odd when we went out to shovel that there were footprints leading to our door, until I saw that someone's dog had traipsed through our driveway and around our house. I can only imagine what our neighbors thought with random shovel passes, lots of little and big footprints and flop marks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment