Friday, February 19, 2021

What I Miss ..

I miss driving the 45 minutes to my in-laws just to visit for a couple hours. I miss leaving the boys with them, so we can run a few errands without them in tow. I miss sitting on the couch drinking a mug of tea while the grandparents wrestle the boys. I miss the respite that comes from visiting them, no doubt.

But more than that, I miss watching the boys interact with their grandparents. I don't like hearing, "You've grown a foot!" I miss hearing what's going on and visiting with them. I miss watching them completely love our boys. It makes me sad that our normal family interactions haven't been able to happen for nearly a year. 

Yet, at the same time, I realize we can do better. Teddy is not perfect with mask wearing, but he is much better. That means we can do masked visits. That wasn't feasible in the first few months of COVID, and it's really only been the last couple months that Teddy's been able to get to that point. (Now, I know his masks aren't fully effective because he chews on them, they fall down, and they're covered in drool, but I'm pretty sure my in-laws don't do the same ...)

So, rather than be sad that it hasn't happened, we'll make it happen more often. Is it exactly the same with masks? Of course not, but it's better than not at all. We don't have that luxury with the cousins yet since they live further away (and are all in-person at school), but we'll get there. 

And, COVID can go suck it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment