Tuesday, September 22, 2020

I Remember When 2 a.m. Was Bedtime ...

 ... a long, long time ago the semester I lived in Spain. Even when I returned stateside, I had no desire to be awake at 2 a.m. That hasn't changed in all the years since college as I firmly believe 2 a.m. is meant for sleeping.

Teddy, on the other hand, determined that 2 a.m. was the perfect time to wake up Sunday morning. We were at the land, and he began stirring and moving around. He was sleeping on the bed next to Dave, and I was on the couch.  I checked my watch and realized it was 2 a.m. and hoped he'd settle back to sleep quickly. Then I heard him cough and realized we had forgotten to bring his rescue medication for seizures down to the land. Immediately, my mind was wide awake piecing together that obviously since our childcare provider was being tested for COVID that Teddy was probably sick and that's why he woke up, he had a fever and would start seizing and determining which one of us would call 911 to get an ambulance to meet the other en route to the hospital 20 minutes away. All because of a single cough. I spent the next 30 minutes worrying about all of this for two reasons:

  1. When your child has taken two ambulance rides due to seizures (one of them intubated), the fear of illness and the associated seizures is very real. We spend every winter on heightened alert because of flu season. We worry that when Teddy wakes up in the middle of the night that its because he's ill and has a fever. Trust me, there have been too many times he's woken up in the night for us to discover her with temps over 100. When you add in potential COVID exposure, your mind goes to bad places, no matter how much you rationalize that potential exposure as minimal. With all these fears, the obvious thing would be to check him for a temperature immediately, right?
  2. Except for the fact that when Teddy wakes up in the middle of the night, he will not settle back down if you acknowledge you're awake. Once he realizes you're awake, then he wants to play. Or wake up everyone in the room. Or go for tractor rides. Or do anything but sleep.
At 2:30, I heard Dave give up and acknowledge he was awake. Then I spent the next 30 minutes trying to tell myself I could fall back asleep because Dave would check Teddy for signs of illness. Dave attempted to get Teddy to snuggle back to sleep to no avail. 

So at 3 a.m. Teddy and I headed out to the Tahoe. That might seem odd, but middle of the night drives are fairly common to get Teddy asleep or to occupy him while others are trying to sleep. We drove (often at idle speed) around the land, down the road to the county park and back around the land. After an hour of driving, I was hoping Teddy might be tired enough to sleep because I certainly was. I knew by the occasional giggle that he probably wasn't, but it was worth an attempt.

After 10-15 minutes of blatant disregard for sleep, Dave took Teddy back to the Tahoe. He put in a movie for Teddy to watch, reclined the seat and attempted to get some sleep. (I had offered to go put a movie on for Teddy in the vehicle, but I planned to lay down a seat, bring a sleeping bag and pillow and snooze with Teddy securely strapped in his carseat. (It's one of the few ways that Teddy is truly contained, so it would be safe to rest.) I got to go back to bed for a few hours, until I woke up at 7 a.m. and texted Dave that I could take over (out of a sense of obligation, not because I was well rested). He brought Teddy into our garage, and Dave got a couple more hours of sleep while the boys and I ate breakfast, went for ranger rides and even a short tractor ride. 

Teddy fared remarkably well that day, only a few minor meltdowns and some whining on the drive home. He was exhausted but had no desire to sleep until he finally crashed at 7:30 p.m. How that child can manage to be awake from 2 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. with no caffeine is beyond me ... heck, me being awake as much of that time as I was even with caffeine is beyond me. 

2 a.m. to 2 p.m. and going strong. 


No comments:

Post a Comment