Friday, September 27, 2019

Field Trip Fun

Field trips are a mixed bag of emotions for me.

I love to see Teddy included and have the opportunity for fun learning, just like any other child. I tend to resent, though, that one of us as parents have to take off work to accompany him on his field trips because there's not adequate staff to have someone accompany him. (I get that's an issue I should be able to resolve through the school, and I will address it through his IEP once we're done with some additional testing for him next month.)

Teddy made friends with the bus driver, who let him open/shut the doors.
I love to see his classmates who interact wonderfully with him, from the girl who holds his hand and pats his arm when he's upset that he has to wait and not freely explore everything to the little boy who sat next to him digging for dinosaur bones praising his digging and taking turns with Teddy. I don't like to hear that Teddy's not in the first grade classroom that often (per a kid's perception, of course) because he needs a staff to support him to be integrated. I know it's early in the year, and I know there's kids in any class who are a handful for the teacher to manage and that it's tough to add Teddy to the mix. But he learns so much from others, and the gaps between him and his peers will only widen each year. Now is the time to invest in the staffing to have him spend as much time as possible mainstream. (Clearly, you can see what's on my mind. Again, I have plans to address this properly through the school rather than just complain about it here.)

Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan is definitely worth a visit with lots to explore. 
I love the kids who say that Teddy's their friend. I both love and hate the questions they ask because they're curious about Teddy. I will always answer any questions to help others understand Teddy because I'm Teddy's voice. It still hurts most times I answer why Teddy can't talk like others and how he can communicate instead. But there are now several kids in his class who know that clapping is how Teddy says, "I want." And there's also kids in his class who probably have ideas on other signs they can teach him. That's all wonderful, but it still hurts to spend a whole day watching Teddy and his peers who aren't his peers ... and to realize that his intentional classroom's wonderful circus of a gym class is where his peers are. Field trips are really only hard because I haven't fully mastered the art, skill or whatever you want to call it of acceptance.

Like I said, it's a mixed bag of emotions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment