Saturday, March 2, 2019

King of the Party

Teddy crashed a Mardi Gras party at my work today. OK, he was invited because my co-worker wanted me to come take pictures. She offered to help wrangle Teddy (my word choice, not hers) to make it easier for me to say yes. This party was intended for the clients who we support, so Teddy was the only young child there. That didn't stop him from making friends and having a fantastic time. He alternated between wearing the awesome hat my co-worker got for him that was "Teddy proof" and trying to make other people wear it. (The hat was remarkably Teddy proof. He only lost one bell the entire afternoon.)

Such a cool hat!

Teddy though the table of beads was intended for his personal shopping. He walked away with several necklaces, most of which ended up around my neck by the time we left.

He loved that there was music and a designated dance floor. He didn't know whether to dance or just stare in awe, though, when people were blowing the party horns. It's so incredible to see him with his version of dance moves. Trust me, mine aren't much more sophisticated. It's not just the happiness and joy that music and movement bring him, but it's the coordination and all those years of therapy that enable him to do something like this that he likes with other people. He can actively participate instead of hopping around the floor wishing he could do what others are doing.


All in all, it was a fantastic afternoon. I got my bucket filled from seeing the incredible effort our staff put into this party and the enjoyment of all those who attended. Teddy was welcomed with open arms and was such a good listener (although he preferred my co-worker to me because she let him explore more than I would have).

Teddy modeling in the photo booth.
Teddy finished the afternoon by pushing the button to open the doors for people who were leaving. That was a compromise to him pushing the button and running outside away from me, so that's a win-win.

I did make Teddy promise not to tell AJ how much fun the party was since I downplayed it because I only wanted one child maximum to allow me to be somewhat useful. I'm confident Teddy won't say a word, and he brought home tons of beads for AJ.

1 comment: