Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Time Teddy Almost Crashed the Golf Cart

Wait. Which time?

The most recent golf cart escapade was this weekend at my parents' farm when we visited for the day with the dual purpose of spending time with family and giving Dave an extremely enjoyable 10 hours to do linear algebra homework. All right, it may not have been enjoyable, but at least he got a bunch of homework done.

Teddy got to spend a couple hours in the cool, misty weather riding and driving tractor with his Grandpa and exploring with the 4-wheeler. Right before we left, we headed to my uncle's place to pick up the children's giant pumpkins. AJ picked the largest pumpkin, which definitely weighs more than 50 pounds. Teddy ended up with the slightly smaller pumpkin, which my dad joked weighed about "one Ted." He likes to use Teddy as a unit of measurement for weight since Teddy's always been quite the solid kid.

Teddy could have cared less about the pumpkins because his beloved golf cart was finally present. His great grandfather brought the golf cart back by the pumpkin patch, so Teddy immediately headed to the golf cart. My dad plopped Teddy's pumpkin next to him on the golf cart for a picture, so we could at least pretend Teddy cared about his pumpkin. We snapped a few pictures, and then Teddy hit the gas. His great grandfather forgot Teddy's desire to drive the golf cart, so he didn't have the cart turned off.

This is the look of a child about to commandeer a golf cart.

That made for an interesting 15 seconds as my 96-year-old grandfather tried to hit the brake and turn off the golf cart. I was a foot away from having my foot ran over, and my uncle was in line to be smashed between the golf cart and our vehicle, but the bike rack would have slowed the impact. My grandpa hit the brakes, and the 50-pound pumpkin went catapulting forward. My mom and then my dad lunged to catch the pumpkin and re-situate it while instructing my grandpa to turn off the golf cart. And Teddy laughed hysterically through it all.

I'm not so sure we should trust Teddy and Great Grandpa alone together on the golf cart ...

No comments:

Post a Comment