Monday, October 8, 2018

The Day The School Called Three Times

Last Friday I got a call pretty early in the school day from Teddy's school nurse. I was a bit skeptical because the last time she called, the school's policy involved sending Teddy home because of a rash on his face of unknown origin. ( We worked through that situation without Teddy coming home, as the school is new to Teddy and not familiar with the breakdown that frequently occurs on his face due to his drooling.) This time she was informing me of an injury that involved Teddy smacking his face into a door frame. 

Since she said he seemed completely back to his usual demeanor and not affected by the incident, I told her that an ice pack wasn't necessary unless it was a really significant injury because he has no interest in them. She said that he tolerated one for about 30 seconds, but his teacher had it with him as he continued on with his day.

So I was a bit surprised when the nurse called me again around lunch. She had given Teddy his medicine he gets with lunch and wanted to update me that it looked more like a scratch. I said OK and laughed to myself when we hung up the phone. Seriously, if I called someone every time Teddy got a bump or bruise ... 

And then Teddy came home.

Teddy a.k.a. Scarface
Well, I understood why the nurse called me twice. He looked pretty rough, but of course he was all smiles. 

Teddy's teacher had asked me to call her to discuss the incident. It turns out that Teddy thought he should go to gym instead of his classroom when he arrived at school. So he made a beeline for the gym, probably laughing and running because he knew he was doing something he shouldn't. It was all fun and games until he ran straight into the corner of the door frame. I think the real reason his teacher wanted to talk was to apologize and tell me how terrible she felt. I did my best to reassure her, although I'm not sure that telling her that I smashed Teddy's hand in the door earlier in the week was reassuring ... but it does prove the point that accidents happen frequently with Teddy. 

On the bright side, I don't think I've heard from AJ's school nurse once yet this year. And, honestly, Teddy's school nurse can call me every day this year as long as it's not to inform me that Teddy's had a seizure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment