Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Our New Babysitter

We've talked at length about our wonderful childcare providers. I think they prefer the term "nanny" as their job title, but they're our unofficial adopted daughters.

But this month, we introduced a new babysitter for Teddy. I stumbled upon this sitter by accident, finding a random YouTube video of something called Blippi. I was mesmerized. No, it's not such quality programming that it entranced me, but it held Teddy's attention. That's why I was mesmerized. He'll dance when music comes on TV and watch it occasionally, but we've never found anything that truly holds his attention and keeps him in one place. 

And since then, Teddy has been requesting TV and quickly became obsessed with Blippi. We've switched it up in the last week or two with some ChooChoo Bob and good old-fashioned Thomas the Train. (Let me tell you, the episode we watched today about not getting caught up in your imagination with worry because it just creates more problems was a message straight from Thomas to my anxious heart.) He really likes trains, so he'll even watch video footage of trains. Oh, and he enjoyed some tractor pulls world championships we randomly found on TV.

But if you really want him to sit and focus on TV, Blippi is hands down the most magical. He'll run and sit on the couch to watch it, even when he's into causing all sorts of trouble and thinking he's hilarious. I know we shouldn't use TV to babysit Teddy, but by golly sometimes we need a break from his non-stop action. The other amazing thing about this is that I recall Teddy not being able to focus on anything for even a full minute. So to sit and watch TV for 30 or more minutes is downright amazing!

Never heard of Blippi? Remember Barney? Way different, but just as annoying. Be glad you don't know him, but he's fast becoming my best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment