Thursday, March 25, 2021

Goal: Keep Him Alive

I was mostly mom today, taking time off work to hang with the boys because we didn't have childcare. I did hop on one work meeting while Dave watched the boys. Someone asked what I was doing on my day off, and my reply was that I was "teaching school and trying to keep them alive." 

Apparently that response is a bit shocking to other people, at least those who aren't familiar with Teddy. When I heard shocked laughter, I explained that one of my sons has significant special needs, no safety awareness and likes to live on the dangerous side. I shared that he managed to open a pocket knife this morning. After that explanation, they agreed that keeping my kids alive was an accurate description. 

What I didn't share during the work meeting was that the pocket knife incident occurred when I was in the bathroom, using the bathroom. I was in the middle of doing my business when I heard rustling and knew Teddy was digging around on a shelf that is newly in his reach. Then the bathroom door flung open, I caught a quick glimpse of Teddy holding something, and then he shut it and ran away. I immediately processed that something he was holding was not something he was supposed to have.

I flung open the door and chased him a few steps, with my pants still around my knees. Sure enough, he was holding an open pocket knife, by the blade of course, with the biggest grin on his face. I maneuvered the knife out of his hands without either of us getting sliced.

His OT should be proud he can open this knife. Me, not so much.

Then I took the knife with me, locked the bathroom door and finished my business.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wish my life was boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment