Thursday, December 10, 2020

It's a Small World

As I alluded to in my last post, we often have an instant connection with other families whose child or children have CDG-PIGN. Each of our children is incredibly unique, yet there are so many commonalities ranging from sleep struggles to heart-warming smiles. We've discovered that many of our children sound similar, walk or move in nearly identical ways and other common threads that are tough to find when your child is like no one else in your community. 

Thankfully the Internet allows us to connect with others across the world. One of the first families we met on our PIGN journey is from Poland. The mom is an incredible advocate for her daughter who started our Facebook group that has brought so many others into our world. We often get a beautiful Christmas card from Poland (specifically addressed to Teddy, of course) with snippets of Polish and English translations. I will say, once again, how impressed I am at how well others can communicate in English. But that's another conversation on how Americans, in general, lack the language skills many other countries foster.

This card is like a hug from Poland.

This is about gratitude that Teddy's diagnosis has made the world smaller, connecting us with others around the world who I consider our PIGN family. We've met a handful of these families and have high hopes to meet others. There's two little boys in New York that I would love to see interact with Teddy because I swear one of the boys is his brother from another mother. Then there's the two older boys in Florida that I'd love to meet as a glimpse into what the future may hold-I'm only mildly jealous Dave got to meet them in February. Oh, then there's the little girl in Germany who I jokingly call my German goddaugher. And the family in Poland. As you can tell, in reality, I'd love to meet as many of these children and families as possible. 

For those we've met, there's an instant comfort and understanding. There's no need to explain our children or apologize for their unorthodox behavior. For me, there's often a sense of awe as I marvel at the similarities or creative solutions other families find. So, when we can travel again, we'll continue to reach out to meet up with those along our path.

For now, we treasure these Christmas cards and the friendships that span languages, countries and oceans because of the common thread of a variation on a single gene that alters lives and forges friendships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment