Thursday, August 20, 2020

Early Mornings that are Worth It

I used to like mornings. I would define myself as a morning person and enjoyed that quiet space when I could be productive, get a head start on baking projects, go for a run with friends or watch the news. But with my children, Teddy in particular, there is no sanctity in mornings anymore. Both my boys are early risers, but AJ is independent and knows better than to intentionally wake me unless he needs something (although sometimes he's noisier than he intends). Teddy, on the other hand, is contained to his room until we let him out. Sometimes our efforts to entertain him with toys that we set in there after he falls asleep works. Other times he empties his clothes drawers, despite the child safety locks, and dresses himself. Or takes the picture off his wall that he shouldn't be able to reach. Or kicks at the wall or the door until we come to do his bidding. There's nothing peaceful about mornings with Teddy, and there's definitely no sleeping in with him, unless Dave and I rotate turns on the weekends.

But, Teddy usually wakes up happy and rewards you with smiles and giggles, along with his demands. The challenge is that he wakes up incredibly early at our land. What's incredibly early? 4 a.m. is the earliest ranging as late as perhaps 5 a.m. I think his sleep cycle is really light then and that at home he can often doze back off, or at least roll around half asleep for a while. At the land, he rolls around and discovers there are others in his bed, so it must be time to play. 

Dave deserves sainthood because he's the one who usually takes Teddy in those wee morning hours. They often head to town to fill up the vehicle with gas, drive around our property looking for deer and generally just kill time until it becomes a more acceptable hour. I've offered to help, or at the very least tag team, so that Dave can get some additional rest. He finally took me up on that offer this weekend, so he took Teddy from 4:30 to 6:30, and I took Teddy from 6:30 to 8:30. 

Such pretty mornings. They'd still be pretty at 6 a.m. instead of 4 a.m.


Teddy and I first took a drive around the land in the Tahoe, mostly because that's where Teddy was when Dave handed him off to me. Then I loaded him into his running chair to go for a walk. We checked on the fire and walked down to the river. After about an hour, we headed back to the garage. We played LEGOs inside our hanging tent chair, which is large enough to fit me, him and the LEGO bin, but not with much room to spare. We had breakfast and finally woke up Dave for some family cuddles.

Early morning smiles. I think he's happy to have a stick to whack me.

For someone who wakes up at 4 a.m., Teddy handles it much better than most people would. He is in remarkably good spirits for the day and loves being at the land. More than one day gets pretty tiring, but it's amazing to see how well he holds up. If only we had his energy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment