Monday, January 28, 2019

F- the Flu

Get it? It's kind of like F- you, except it's F- the flu. At least I have a valid reason for not posting for the past week. A week ago Dave left for a work trip and asked if I was sure I was fine with the kids, and I replied, "It's only a cold." The cold had just started that evening where I was feeling run down with my head all a mess, so no big deal. I usually protest even taking Dayquil for a cold (until I realize how much better it makes me feel). The next day my "cold" was in full force, and I was so exhausted after work that I rested in my car before heading into the grocery store to grab a few things.

Finally, after a second night bundled in blankets and then covered in sweat, I took my temperature Wednesday morning to find 102.4°F. After a quick Google search, I reluctantly admitted to myself that my "cold" was probably the flu. I talked to my doctor's office and then went to visit them for good measure. I got Tamiflu with hopes of not passing the flu along to Teddy, and then I talked to his doctor's office and got him a prescription of Tamiflu as a preventative measure based on his congestion and cough.

Then Teddy spiked a fever Wednesday night, when Dave was thankfully back home. AJ lasted 2 hours at school Thursday morning before he spiked a fever. We visited the walk-in clinic Sunday for Teddy's new addition of a rash because apparently he's allergic to Tamiflu. Go figure. The kid is already allergic to amoxicillin and cephalexin. He's obviously not supposed to get sick, but that doesn't stop him.

When the fevers mostly abated, there were smiles. Then a few more fevers for good measure.
I've determined from this experience that we will continue to get the flu shot every year because I'd much rather prevent this from ever occurring again if that's a possibility. Also, if this was the weakened and shorter version of the flu, I certainly don't want to experience the full nastiness. It's a full week later, and I'm still dragging from it.

The silver lining, and there always is one, is that Teddy's Keppra earned its keep. He survived several consecutive days of fever and nearly a week of illness without a seizure. Trust me, Keppra has been at the top of my list. Sleep has been in second place and a husband picking up the slack is a close third (which is why sleep was able to come in second because I got enough of it to appreciate it.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment