Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Teddy's Friend

It's hard to find time for play dates when you're gone on vacation for a couple weeks in the middle of the summer, bundles of appointments and just enjoying summer. But we changed that today when Teddy's friend Max came to visit today.

It's been nearly two months since the two have seen each other, but they picked up right where they left off: Max being goofy to make Teddy laugh hysterically. They got to spend about an hour and a half together having a great afternoon and "really good" dinner of corn dogs, grapes and oranges. (I like a kid like Max who doesn't have high standards.)

My heart is happy when the two of them are together, and AJ joined right in the mix today. I love hearing Max proclaim, "I'm Teddy's buddy, you know." When Max told me that he was Teddy's friend, I said I was very glad Teddy had a friend like him. AJ then chimed in, "Yeah, Teddy doesn't have a lot of friends ... because he has CDG."

Wowza. Sometimes AJ comes out of nowhere with these observations sometimes and stops me in my tracks. The reality is that Teddy's friendships will most likely always look a little different, but different isn't bad. Max knows that Teddy doesn't talk yet, but that doesn't stop Max from understanding Teddy. Max gets Teddy. And Teddy adores Max for that.

Also, Teddy makes far more casual acquaintances than I'll ever make because he smiles at everyone. You know how they've done social behavior studies with people as others enter the same elevator where people shift to have the most personal space, putz on their phones or otherwise find ways to avoid engaging? Teddy jumps up and down that he has friends on the elevator and smiles his charming smile because we all get to be together for that short ride.

As much as I appreciate that gift for making short-term friends with most people he meets, I really cherish the friendship he has with Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment