Sunday, October 23, 2022

A Pleasant Surprise

Several weeks ago, we received a denial from our health insurance company for Teddy’s adapted stroller. We started this process back in March and had to jump through multiple hurdles to even submit the request to both our insurance company and Medicaid, as Teddy is covered by both.

Back then, we were told it would be unlikely to get approval from Medicaid because they are very reluctant to approve strollers because they are more expensive than traditional wheelchairs. Generally speaking, Medicaid is the harder one to get approvals. My least favorite thing about dual coverage is that for all therapies both insurance companies must approve the services … and we get the lesser amount of visits that is approved.

Anyways, I was quite surprised last week to get a voicemail that Teddy’s stroller was approved. I was certain that when United Healthcare denied the stroller that we were out of luck. When I spoke to the lady, she indicated that Medicaid had approved it. I commented that I was expecting it to be denied by Medicaid, so I was surprised. She said, “Well, thank goodness for Medicaid.” I responded that I bet she didn’t often get to say that. She laughed and said that it felt weird to even say that.

So, we’re tentatively set with a delivery date of January 6—so we are celebrating the Epiphany with a much-needed chair next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment