Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Witch Doctor Update

I referenced a follow-up visit to the witch doctor in my last post. Unfortunately that appointment was rescheduled because our boys both came down with sore throats, fevers and runny noses. So instead we did home COVID tests that were negative and took Teddy to the pediatrician instead of podiatrist to check for any other obvious, treatable illnesses. 

Fortunately it was just one of the many viruses floating around, and the fever didn't cause any seizures for Teddy for the couple days he experienced it. It did, manage, however to give us several solid days of worry and anxiety. As Dave and I reflected on it, I said that any virus that causes a fever causes us this fear of seizures. Dave's addition was " ... and dying." Dave worries more than I do, perhaps because I don't play out the worst case scenario and just worry about the first bad thing (seizures). 

This hit me, though, because the reality is that pre-COVID, we were always concerned about influenza. For us, a virus isn't just a couple days of a sick child. It's always that fear of something worse: seizures, ER trips, hospitalizations or death (apparently for Dave). Now, worrying doesn't change or prevent any of these from happening, so I know we both need to work on our coping skills. But we do focus on what we can control, which is trying to minimize some of that risk for Teddy.

Amazingly, the adults in the household avoided this virus. That is truly remarkable given the amount of snot we wiped off Teddy's face ... and our clothes. Disgusting! I'm going to attribute it to copious amounts of water loaded with vitamin C and other immune boosters, along with eating whole cloves of raw garlic daily for several days. Sheer competitiveness caused me to chew the clove the first day before switching to the much more palatable method of cutting it into small pieces and swallowing it like a pill.

And what's the point of all this randomness? We all were healthy enough to go on our planned vacation, which I'll share about in my upcoming posts!

Oh, and Teddy went back to the podiatrist yesterday, and she confirmed that his wart was completely gone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment