Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Ten Minutes with Teddy

This weekend, Dave ran to the store. When he came back, he asked how Teddy was while he was gone. My response was:

"Well, I had to pull him off the top of the Tahoe because he climbed on top of it while I was in the bathroom. Then he put uncooked kielbasa in his mouth. I thought that was fine because it was already smoked, but then I read the package that it needed to be heated thoroughly. So I dug it out of his mouth and tossed it in the frying pan to cook for him. Oh, then I had to remove a very sharp knife from his hand that he grabbed and attempted to run away with it in his hand. But after that 10 minutes, then it was fine."

That, my friends, is pretty typical of our life. It's not like that day was extraordinary and that's why I'm sharing it. It's just a glimpse of what life looks like for us on any given day. 

"Oh, hi Mom, I'm just chilling up here."


Although these shenanigans often aren't appreciated in the moment, they signify progress and development for Teddy. Teddy has the motor skills, planning and strength to scale to the top of a vehicle. He has an interest in helping in the kitchen and is learning to cut up food using a butter knife (hence the taste testing). As far as snatching the sharp knife, I'll credit that with fine motor and gross motor skills, along with a cognitive awareness that he's not supposed to have sharp knives. 

It's all progress, in Teddy's own unique way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment