Friday, October 23, 2020

See Something Positive? Say Something Positive!

 Last week, out of the blue, someone who Dave and I work with through our volunteer work with SkillsUSA (a career and technical skills organization) sent me a message. This year, she transitioned to teaching special education for the first time after a couple years teaching in a traditional classroom. It was just a simple message:

I just want to share with you, now that I am teaching early childhood SPED, that I absolutely love seeing all of the hard work you and Dave do to support Teddy and make sure he is able to be successful!

That certainly put a smile on my face! It wasn't solicited, it wasn't in response to anything and it was just a simple, genuine compliment. Those little words of kindness, which probably took a minute or two of her day, rippled kindness and happiness through my day. I'm still smiling thinking of it a week later.

So, my challenge to you is this: if you see something positive, say something positive! Don't be afraid to reach out to those you know and love or even complete strangers who are doing a great job. If you've never tried to navigate two toddlers through a store, I can guarantee you that many parents in that position could use a boost from someone recognizing their parenting. If you see a young child wearing a mask well, what better way to show that you notice how great they're doing than to compliment their mask? (It's probably best to just leave it at, "I love your mask!" not "You're doing such a great job wearing a mask unlike that adult over there who can't be bothered to wear one properly.") 

Spread a little kindness. Make our world better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment