Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Crazy Couple Weeks

Normally I try to post here once or twice a week, but I haven't posted since the awesomeness that was World CDG Awareness Day on May 16. Sometimes, life just gets busy.

For example, Dave left for a work trip on the afternoon of May 19. That's not out of the norm, and life typically trucks on with our usual routines with a bit more stress in the evenings when Dave would normally be home helping. I even had my good friend and her family over to celebrate our birthdays because that would make the transition of Dave leaving so much easier and keep the kiddos occupied until bedtime. Brilliant, right?

When I was serving ice cream for dessert, I noticed the ice cream was a bit soft. I made a mental note to check the freezer later in the evening because we'd been in and out of it quite a bit. Unfortunately I didn't remember that mental note until I was tucked into bed, ready to fall asleep. So I climbed out of bed, came downstairs, checked the freezer and groaned. Our freezer (and refrigerator) has been dancing with death for the last year almost. At least, that's how I would describe it because I don't think it's normal for your refrigerator to sound like a helicopter taking off in your kitchen. But it didn't die until the night of my birthday. So I spent an hour emptying the fridge and freezer instead of sleeping. On the bright side, I sure boosted my steps for the day with all those trips down to the fridge and freezer in the basement.
Teddy was concerned the fridge was empty. He decided to fill it with snacks.

Snuggled into bed ... again ... and slept until I woke up to Teddy crying at 2:30 a.m. Sometimes he'll whimper and cry a bit and fall back asleep, but my intuition forced me out of bed to check on him. Sure enough, the poor kiddo had a fever. So I got him medicine and cuddled him from 2:30 until 4:30 with neither of us getting any real rest. Finally I left his room, so he could settle down, and I could snag another hour of sleep before I was on the clock for the day.

That meant my week started with me staying home with a sick Teddy, cramming in as much work as I could once he went to bed that night.

Teddy loved shopping for a new fridge. He thought we were getting a lawn mower each visit. 

Fast forward to this Memorial Day weekend. We had a great time up north for a night and managed to get our garden planted before the rain Monday. But Tuesday morning at 4:15 Teddy was up again whimpering and crying. Again, my intuition encouraged me out of bed to check on him, and he was spiking a fever.

With two fevers in a week, we called the doctor's office. After talking to the nurse, he got an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. He spent the day living the dream with Dave home for the day. He loved all the attention from Dave and was in a good mood all day, not acting under the weather. (That's the norm for Teddy. He has to be pretty miserable or tired before he concedes that he might need to snuggle for more than a minute.)

Doesn't he look miserable?

It turns out that Teddy has an ear infection and sinus infection. You'd never guess it from how he's acting, but he's on antibiotics to hopefully get him healthy again.

And that, my friends, is why it's been so quiet on the blog lately. It just hasn't been that quiet at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment