Thursday, October 19, 2017

Teddy's First School Nurse Visit of the Year

I'm sure this won't be the only visit to the school nurse for him, but I hope it's the only one that I cause. Wait, that sounds wrong. I didn't cause Teddy's injury, but I did send him to school with a huge bump and fresh blood.

Around 11, as I was opening the fridge to get Teddy lunch, he fell onto the metal track of the sliding glass door. I'm not sure what specifically caused him to fall because ... again ... I was opening the fridge. He started crying, so I scooped him up, took a quick peak at his noggin and took him onto the deck to let his crying scare the geese out of our yard. (I don't like them pooping everywhere.) Being outside worked it's magic right away on Teddy, so he was over his injury within a minute or two and I still had geese in my yard.

When I set Teddy down to try this lunch thing again, that's when I noticed my  hand was red. He had about a 3/4-inch cut on his head, which hadn't started bleeding when I first looked. Thankfully, it wasn't gushing blood, so I was able to clean it with a clean cloth, rub on some antibiotic ointment and continue with lunch. I also gave him some Tylenol because that would hurt my head.

Fast forward 40 minutes to getting on the bus, and his head looked horrible. I felt guilty sending him, but he wasn't bleeding, he was acting completely normal and he would have been one unhappy kiddo if that bus passed by without him getting onto it. I did send a note to explain what happened to his teacher (and, of course, that was the one day that somehow his backpack never made it off the bus to go into school). I also called her to let her know that if the school nurse looked at it and felt it needed further attention, that I'd come pick him up.

I also called our doctor's office just to confirm there was nothing else I should have done ... as soon as he climbed on the bus. (Hey, there's only so many minutes before the bus arrives. Food and a clean diaper are pretty important.)

And that's his first school nurse visit. AJ's already racked up two, so Teddy maybe feels he needs to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment