Sunday, August 6, 2017

Vacation Update

The posts here have been lacking because we haven't had much cell reception, much less Internet connectivity. That's one of the things I love about vacation is that we get to disconnect from world by exploring wonders of nature and beauty. We're more than two weeks into vacation and still have a solid week left, so this might be the last post for another week or so.

In the past two weeks, we've explored:
  • Teddy Roosevelt National Park
  • Glacier National Park
  • North Cascades National Park
  • Olympic National Park
  • Mount Ranier National Park
  • Mount St. Helens
  • Columbia River Gorge, including the Bonneville Dam
A few things to note from this vacation:

Teddy and I got chased by a marmot in Olympic National Park. Another marmot didn't want to share his tasty wildflowers, so he chased his friend away. I happened to be in the way, with Teddy on my back. Marmots looked a lot less cute after being chased by one.

Cute ... until it's running right at you loaded down with a 40+ lb. child.
It hit me that Teddy won't participate in the typical Junior Ranger programs, the way AJ does. AJ looks forward to the activity books, collecting his badges and reciting his oaths. He's even been pretend playing Junior Ranger, which I love. But I had tears in my eyes at Glacier when I realized Teddy won't have the skills to complete Junior Ranger programs independently, even if he ever develops the interest and attention span. That hurts because it's been so much fun for AJ to participate ... AJ even did one activity book for him and Teddy to get Teddy a separate badge. It was so sweet yet bittersweet.

If you think hammocks are relaxing, try one with my two boys.
Teddy is heavy. 

This child loves the ocean. And bending into weird positions on his dad's shoulders.

Our national parks are beautiful. I love sharing them with our children.

There's nothing quite like an alpine lake. Well worth the hike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment