Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Best Note Ever

I've written about Max before here and here. But you get to hear more about Max because yesterday he gave me a note from his mom. Here's an excerpt:

Hi,

Max is always talking about Teddy. He is his best friend, he says. I was wondering if you would be open to any sort of play date for these two? I understand that Teddy doesn't talk, but the connection between these two is amazing!! 

I can't write those words without smiling. I can't think about the card without smiling. I almost didn't get through the note without crying. I shared the note with Teddy's running buddy in the I Run 4 Michael group on Facebook, and my favorite response was from the mom who said that she was ugly crying in the back of some guy's uber. Others from our PIGN Facebook group said they were doing their happy dance and that this was the best thing they'd seen all day. (I love that someone else has a happy dance, too. Mine is literally flapping my arms. I think Teddy inherited my happy dance.)

There's so much contained within these two index cards. Teddy is someone's best friend. Do you know how friggin' awesome that is? It's so awesome that Dave's e-mail to me this morning was, "If you are scheduling a time with Max, I'd love to be around at least for part of it, so I can meet him. I would really like to meet Teddy's best friend!"

And that's the other part! Teddy got invited to have a play date of his own! For all the times that he hasn't and won't be fully included in his life, he is here. And that's what matters.

I can tell from the rest of the note that not only does their friendship mean so much to both Max and Teddy, but it means the world to Dave and I and Max's parents. Our children have found a true friend who enjoys spending time together and accepts them completely.

I asked if it was overkill to frame this. Dave said no.

I left Max's mom a voicemail last night, and I'm super excited to make this play date happen! Max's parents have never seen Teddy and Max together since Teddy gets off the bus first, so they deserve to see firsthand how special these two are together. Although, let's be real ... the thought of Teddy on a play date is a bit daunting since Max has only interacted with him in the confined space of a bus. I'm sure it will be fine, but it'll be different than they're used to. I'm envisioning Teddy leading Max everywhere and toys strewn equally everywhere. Sounds about perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment