Monday, October 9, 2017

I Can Dance If I Want To ...

Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to ...


That last line is certainly true when it pertains to Teddy and the dance floor. We attended a wedding reception this weekend, and both boys were extremely excited to hit the dance floor. AJ has dance moves I'm not quite sure that I've ever seen before in my life as well as near perfect renditions of others I never expected to see my child perform, such as running across the dance floor and dropping to his knees to slide across it or learning the Cupid Shuffle in one night when I haven't mastered it after all these years.


Teddy's dance style is a bit less refined. It involves a lot of face-paced walking around the dance floor, using other people as bumpers to redirect him. Hey, look at this pretty, sparkling white dress! I should touch that! He did some foot stomping and quite a bit of upper body shaking and swaying, complete with holding onto his shirt while he danced. He was rather intrigued by the stage where the DJ was, so we had to provide some redirection there. He was also interested in the photo booth (until we went to actually take photos, which is when he wanted to return to the dance floor). And the garland around the dance floor was rearranged a few times. Hey, I should hold onto this while I dance. Oh, it comes with me? Cool.

I watched with a mixture of pure enjoyment at their happiness and amazement at how far Teddy has come in roughly the year since the last wedding we attended. Then, Teddy needed significant handheld assistance to walk, was carried a portion of the night and spent most of the night walking around the DJ booth because he was fascinated by the lights there.

This time, Teddy could go where he wanted and do what he wanted, as much as we would allow him. Seriously, the child made a beeline for the dance floor every time he could. Sorry, but you're not the groom or mother of the groom. Nope, not the bride or father of the bride either.

Teddy had an absolute blast and was in his element, surrounded by people, movement, lights and music. Oh, and cupcakes. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment