Thursday, September 14, 2017

Runs, Parks and Tired Children

Teddy's spent more time running with me in the past couple weeks than he probably had the past couple years (at least outside of myTEAM Triumph training runs and events). I've realized that when I only have Teddy that we can sneak in quick runs. Well, not necessarily quick but shorter ones, around 3 miles or so. We've been making the most of this time before school rather than simply counting down the minutes until the bus arrives (me) or destroying everything in sight (Teddy). On a related note, guess which 4-year-old is tall enough to reach our microwave ... that's up on the shelf above our counter.

This morning we headed out for a run at Menominee Park. It was a gorgeous, foggy morning to run. We cut the route a bit shorter because the peninsula had a bus full of children on it, so we opted to skip it this time. Teddy threw his partially eaten apple on the ground, which I then stepped on and left in the parking lot where it was smashed. We saw plenty of geese, ducks and people walking dogs. Some random guy on a his bicycle told me I was doing great after passing me (and Teddy stopped complaining because he had a bicycle to watch).

He was pretty excited, despite having the park to himself at first.

Our run ended at the playground, where Teddy had a blast wandering around checking out things at his pace. It amazes me how much he can explore and do that he couldn't a year ago.

This is how Teddy tried to climb up to the slide. Perfectly safe.

After some fun in the park, we headed home where he refused to nap (yet again) and was tired and crabby until I took him outside. He took off running toward the bus when he saw it coming down the road because he was so excited to go to school. (I know that feeling. I'm really excited for him, too.)

And why tired children, not child? Oh, that would be because AJ was up at 4:03 a.m. (I checked my watch.) He was too excited to finish building his LEGO set he got yesterday as an early birthday present from his running buddy. He managed to wait until 5 a.m. before coming back to tell me that he really couldn't fall asleep ... after thumping around in the bathroom, playing and getting dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment