Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sickness, Spots and No School

Today is the first day in more than a week that both my children have went to school ... and now I'm stuck on the phone with the insurance company trying to sort out claims that appear to be incorrect (like discounting $13,000 worth of my Remicaid). And, apparently, my provider is on the hook for that $13,000 because no prior authorization was submitted. Sounds odd, but as long as that $13,000 responsibility stays between the provider and the insurance company, I'll take it.

Anyways, two weekends ago, Teddy developed a fever. It never went much above 100 with constant medication, but he was pretty crabby and miserable. We were pretty concerned because fevers can trigger seizures. The doctor said it was a viral infection causing the fever, crabbiness and rash, and it kept him out of school all last week.

Then Wednesday AJ developed a fever, so he missed school Thursday. Of course, the fever cropped back up again for him Friday afternoon and Saturday. On Sunday, our sitter said the rash AJ had on his face looked like impetigo, which I had to Google because I had no familiarity with it. As I realized this meant neither child was going to school on Monday, I uttered a few choice words (in my  head).

The doctor confirmed impetigo for both children. They're on antibiotics and no longer contagious. In some ways, I'm amazed we made it until March with either child missing a day of school due to illness. Of course, they made up for it by missing 7 days between the two of them.

Oh, and by the way, if you forget to call the school to let them know your 4K student isn't coming, they're pretty persistent in wanting information to remove the unexcused absence. But apparently they apparently don't care if Teddy shows up at school.

I have 30 more minutes of glorious freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment