Wednesday, January 17, 2018

I Want A Donut

Seriously, after today with Teddy, I want a donut. For whatever reason, I was his favorite person tonight, which meant he dragged me all around the house to do his bidding and screeched and screamed if I walked away. Normally he's cool with Dave, so I can do dishes, which is relaxing compared to being Teddy's toy.

But this isn't about me complaining about spending time with Teddy, which I know I should always be grateful to have. This is about Teddy this past Tuesday. He had labs drawn to make sure his anti-seizure medication is at a therapeutic dose. Unlike most kids his age, he barely flinched at the needle and even smiled at the people drawing his 3 vials of blood. There are some benefits of his high pain threshold.

When we were at the store afterward, I paused in front of the donuts because I was considering getting him a treat for doing so well. He saw the donuts and pointed to them, index finger sticking out toward the display case. That removed any doubt-we were getting donuts.

I understand it's ordinary for children to point at what they want. But this is the first time I have noticed Teddy spontaneously point to something to show he wanted it. He's been able to point to make a choice between two items when prompted, but this was a milestone.

Asking for a donut. The extraordinary in the ordinary.

A donut worth words.

No comments:

Post a Comment